General Writing and Grammar Help/Pass by, go past, get past

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please explain with some examples when to use "pass by someone," "go past someone," and "get past someone"?

If all three phrases/expressions are grammatically possible, do they mean the same thing?

If so, which is more commonly used or do you prefer?

Also, would you please give me some alternatives to the above phrases?

Thank you

Sincerely,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Would you please explain with some examples when to use.....?" correctly written?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please explain with some examples when to use "pass by someone," "go
past someone," and "get past someone"?

If all three phrases/expressions are grammatically possible, do they mean the
same thing?

*** The first two mean the same thing.  They mean that someone is near to you, and your path is going to take you TO where he is . . . and then BEYOND where he is.

You can "walk by" the person.  You can "cross his path."  You can "go by him."

*** "GET past someone" has a different meaning.  The phrase has a negative connotation.  You don't really want to see or talk to the person, so you must GET past him.  [There is also a suggestion that you want to AVOID seeing him or you want to ESCAPE from him, without his noticing you."

EXAMPLES OF A DIFFERENT NATURE:

If we can just get by [win over] our last two opponents, we will finish the season with a perfect win record.

Although my test grade was not very good, I managed to GET BY the course with a grade of C.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Would you please explain with some examples when to
use.....?" correctly written?

**** YES.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt