General Writing and Grammar Help/A phrase which seems not complete

Question
Hi Ted!
I guess this is a simple question, but I can't get the meaning of this.

In the song "People are People" from Depeche Mode, the chorus goes:

"People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully"

So, what does this exactly mean? Seems like a "that" is missing between the two sentences. But I might not be getting the meaning of "should" correctly here.
The "should" indicates that you in someway will get along awfully sometime? Or if they were separate sentences, it could mean that you do get along "well", but you should get along awfully.
Maybe I over-elaborate a little, but I'd like if you can bring me some light in this.

Greetings from Argentina, so you know which Paolo I am.
Thanks for your time!

Answer
Dear Paolo from Argentina:

[I have TWO very intelligent Paolos, one from Italy and the other from Argentina!]

****

"People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully"

So, what does this exactly mean? Seems like a "that" is missing between the two
sentences. But I might not be getting the meaning of "should" correctly here.
The "should" indicates that you in someway will get along awfully sometime? Or
if they were separate sentences, it could mean that you do get along "well", but
you should get along awfully.
Maybe I over-elaborate a little, but I'd like if you can bring me some light in
this.

*** I understand your confusion.  Song writers do not always make clear WHAT they mean.  It may seem clear to them, but the listeners' understanding is often quite different.  Song writers often abuse style, just to make the line rhyme.  That's another problem.

You have solved the problem, I think.  Using the relative pronoun "that" between "be" and "you" would be helpful, but the extra word may not "fit" the music.

As I try to interpret these lines, I see the word "so" as an introduction to a conclusion.  It is like using "thus" or "therefore."  The problem is that what is introduced is a question, not a conclusion.  Also, there should be a question mark after "awfully," which is the last word of the question.  People are people -- THEREFORE -- WHY should you and I should get along so awfully?

The LOGIC is missing in these lyrics.  The writer implies that you and I should get along WELL, because people are people.  That doesn't make sense to me, BUT the song writer has the right to choose his ideas and his words.

Here is one verse from the song:

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I've never ever met you so what could I have done

My interpretation is that the writer believes everyone SHOULD get along with everyone else.  After all, each of us is a person.  However, even though an American has never met an Iranian, we are supposed to hate each other [because our two countries do not get along].

There is another song that has this same message.  It's many decades old, from the musical "South Pacific."  The song has a racial, or INTERRACIAL, theme.  "You must be carefully taught."  The song is about children, who are born without prejudices and hatreds.  The adults must carefully TEACH them how to hate others and how to view people of another race as "different."  The song is filled with irony, as the words try to explain WHY being prejudiced is a necessity to be learned.  Children are not born with this prejudice, so they must be educated.

The Depeche Mode song has a similar theme.  The chorus of the song makes little sense without understanding what the verses mean.

I hope this hasn't confused you more!

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt