General Writing and Grammar Help/On point

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "on point" or "to be on point" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

They mean "pertaining to a particular subject or issue."  If a person is "on point," he is focused on the issue.

In the debate, all of John's arguments were on point.  He did not stray from the debate's issue.

Sharon's paper showed that she had a clear understanding of her thesis.  Every idea she presented was on point, never wandering from her being on point.

To be on point in any argument, you must focus on the topic, and you must never introduce irrelevant material.

The long-winded speaker bored the audience.  He tended to be OFF point, taking about many difference subjects having no relationship to the topic of his speech.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt