General Writing and Grammar Help/"Private-run company"

Question
Dear Ted,
I know that the expressions "privately-run company" and "privately run company" are grammatically correct. Can you also say "private-run company" and "private run company"?  In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I work for a private-run company.
2. I work for a private run company.

Answer
Dear Glen:

I know that the expressions "privately-run company" and "privately run company"
are grammatically correct. Can you also say "private-run company" and "private
run company"?  In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are
they grammatically correct?
1. I work for a private-run company.
2. I work for a private run company.

*** Ask yourself the question "How is the company run?"  The answer to the question HOW? must be an adverb.  "Privately" is the adverb.  "Private" is an adjective.

The grammatically correct versions use "privately" and not "private."

NOTE:  I just used another example.  Are the versions "grammatical correct" or are they "grammatically correct"?  You MUST use "grammatically," the adverbial form to modify the adjective "correct."

I did a Google search and found many examples of "private run" companies, both with and without the hyphen.  However, the examples were NOT from reliable sources. They basically appeared in "blogs" or in the descriptions of small companies.  Those descriptions were likely written by people whose grammatical skills are deficient.

My strong suggestion is that you do NOT us "private."  Use "privately."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt