General Writing and Grammar Help/We pull each other up

Question
Dear Ted:

The following is from President Obama's personal Facebook page:

"We donít turn back. We leave no one behind. We pull each other up." ó President Obama at the Democratic National Convention.  

My questions are these:

1) What do "We don't turn back" and "We pull each other up" mean?

2) Would you please give me some other examples of how to use the phrase "to pull someone up" correctly?

3) Is it possible to "pull ONESELF up"?

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "The following is from President Obama's personal Facebook page:" correctly written and punctuated?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

"We donít turn back. We leave no one behind. We pull each other up." ó President
Obama at the Democratic National Convention.  

My questions are these:

*** We don't turn back = When we face difficulties, we do not retreat from them.  We face them directly and move forward.  We are a progressive country.  We look to the future, not to the past.

*** We pull each other up = We help each other.  If someone is down [needing help], we extend our hand to help him.

2) Would you please give me some other examples of how to use the phrase "to
pull someone up" correctly?

3) Is it possible to "pull ONESELF up"?

Jennie fell on the ski slope.  I pulled her up.

The town of Newton, Connecticut has suffered great losses, because of the recent school shooting.  The entire nation -- and even the world -- has extended sympathy to the people of Newton.  The condolences are meant to pull the town up, out of its grief and sorrow.

*** There is an old saying:  I will pull myself up by my own bootstraps.  It means that I will do everything I can to "stand up again," after my losses and hardships.

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "The following is from President Obama's personal
Facebook page:" correctly written and punctuated?

*** YES

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt