General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Attitude TO sthg - attitudeTOWARD(S) sthg

Question
Dear Ted:

The following question is taken from an ESL book:

What was the attitude of the police TO the crime the writer reported?

My question is this:

Do you find the above question grammatically correct?

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. What are you doing on Christmas day?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

*** I don't LIKE it, but I understand the sentence.  I wish there were SET RULES concerning prepositions, but since there are many options, the use of "to" in this sentence is acceptable.
"Attitude" is like a "feeling."  EXAMPLE:  How do you feel ABOUT Silvio Berlusconi?  You would NOT say "feel TO Silvio Berlusconi."

In place of "to" in this sentence, I would choose either "concerning" or "about."

Thank you,

Paolo

*** I'll be alone, so I'll probably do nothing special.  I have "regular" things to do, like house cleaning and laundry, etc.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Paolo.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt