General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Top end

Question
Dear Ted:

You gave the following example:

However, this confidence was not as strong at the top end of the market. In 2011 the top five the top five sales accounted for over $67 million of real estate, compared with a touch over $50 million this year.

My question is this:

Why is "the top five" repeated twice/two times in the second sentence? Is it just a typo?

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Why is 'the top five' repeated twice/two times? in the second sentence?" correctly formulated? If not, would you please rephrase it for me?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

You gave the following example:

However, this confidence was not as strong at the top end of the market. In 2011
the top five the top five sales accounted for over $67 million of real estate,
compared with a touch over $50 million this year.

My question is this:

Why is "the top five" repeated twice/two times in the second sentence? Is it
just a typo?

*** I didn't even notice the repetition.  I copied the sentences directly from an online news article.  The error was in the article itself.  My mistake was in NOT editing the mistake in the article.

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Why is 'the top five' repeated twice/two times? in
the second sentence?" correctly formulated? If not, would you please rephrase it
for me?

**** You question is perfect.  No rephrasing is needed.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt