General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Get in the way

Question
Dear Ted:

In your answer, you gave the following example:

A:  I don't know anything about repairing cars, but I'd be glad to help you.
B:  That's all right.  You would probably just get in the way.

My question is this:

Does "get in the way" have a positive connotation in the above example? In other words, is it correct to say that B can be of help to A?

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, are the above questions correctly formulated?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

Does "get in the way" have a positive connotation in the above example? In other
words, is it correct to say that B can be of help to A?

**** No.  "Get in the way" is NEGATIVE.  The person would not be helpful.  He would be a hindrance.  If someone is getting in your way, you want that person to leave.

Thank you,

Paolo

*** YES

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt