General Writing and Grammar Help/Reconstruct her sense of self

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to reconstruct her/one's sense of self" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression/phrase?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above
expression/phrase?

*** It means that she has evaluated her own self or her personality.  She has made an "inventory" of her weaknesses and character flaws.

It's like she is following a method of "self-help" on her own -- without the advice of a therapist/psychologist.

EXAMPLES:

After Mary was sharply criticized by her friends and family, she reflected on her problems and vowed to reconstruct her personality.

John had no friends.  He felt very lonely, because there was no one in his life with whom he could share.  He gave a great deal of thought to his condition and finally decided that he would make changes in his attitude and his actions toward other people.  He began the long process of reconstructing himself.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt