General Writing and Grammar Help/Do or make the rounds

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "to DO the rounds" or "to MAKE the rounds"?

What does it mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression/phrase?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

What does it mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above
expression/phrase?

*** The two expressions mean the same thing.  A "round" is a scheduled event that usually happens at set intervals.

EXAMPLES:

The art museum has a night watchman [guard] who works when the museum is closed to the public. Within the building, he has 20 places [checkpoints] that he must visit.  He has four of these visits per night.  They are called "rounds."  When he completes his first round, he has been to 20 areas of the museum.  Then he begins the second round, starting back at the beginning with checkpoint #1.  

When a doctor goes to a hospital to see his patients,  he is "making his rounds."  If he has three patients, then one round will have three "checkpoints."  If he 20 patients, then he must make 20 stops at the rooms of these people.  That round would consist of twenty stops or visits.

One can DO the rounds or he can MAKE the rounds.  MAKE is more frequently used.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt