General Writing and Grammar Help/Sign on

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the following example make sense in American English?

If he doesn't get a job soon, he'll have to sign on*. I know he doesn't like going on welfare but it might be his only option in the short-term.

If not, what would you say instead?

*From MacmillanDictionary.com: [British] to apply to receive money from the government when you have lost your job

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If he doesn't get a job soon, he'll have to sign on*. I know he doesn't like
going on welfare but it might be his only option in the short-term.

If not, what would you say instead?

*From MacmillanDictionary.com: [British] to apply to receive money from the
government when you have lost your job

*** We do not use "sign on."  Our most common expression is "sign up for unemployment."  A more formal expression is "apply for unemployment."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt