General Writing and Grammar Help/sounds, looks, appears, seems

Hope you are well!

What is the correct option?

"Peter told me a story about a man who could exorcize the spirit. Peter's story .......... interesting."

a) sounds

b) looks

c) seems

d) appears

Please explain your reasons.
Thank you

ANSWER: Any is correct.

Note that =sounds= in this sentence is not literal:  that is, you are not hearing with your ears that the story is interesting.  You are making a value judgement about further interest in the story, based on the Peter information told you.  

Since this distinction might be confusing, given your previous question, I would suggest you not use the word =sounds= in a context such as this.

The same is true with =looks=.

=Appears= and =seems= are the best choices.  They are the most clear and leave no room for literal interpretation.

QUESTION: Thank you.

Right now, I believe that I am the most confused person in this world. I'm totally confused.

You said that all the options are correct. But honestly, I expected that you would say that B) WAS WRONG.

Option a) makes sense to me. As you said before, "sounds" means "verbal." So, I have no problem with option a) because one hears a story.

However, I have problem with option b). It cannot be correct. From my example, it's quite clear that Peter is telling me a story and I am LISTENING to it, so it SOUNDS interesting. I am NOT LOOKING AT Peter's story, so we cannot say "LOOKS interesting."

This is what I have concluded as a non-native speaker. What do you think?

Thank you for being in touch
I feel blessed to have you as my teacher

=Looks= is colloquial American English.  As a non-native speaker, I'd avoid it, as the use is quite nuanced.  

All 4 of your options are correct in American English.  =Looks= will be the trickest to use.  I'd advise you to avoid it.

=Appears= and =seems= are best.

=Seems= is best of all.  It sidesteps all the colloquial usages problems.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis

I will answer questions having to do with grammar, plurals, punctuation, capitalization, mood, person, tense, and so on, as well as word usage and word choice. If you want a quick answer to a specific question, particularly if you wish to use formal American English for business or academic purposes (MLA), I can give you a timely response. I also can address word choice, clarity, structure, and similar concerns involving English as a second language. If you want advice of a deeper editorial nature (e.g., substantive [line] editing), please consult an Expert who offers this sort of assistance; I do not offer this sort of assistance.

I was employed as an editor for the graduate school at a major U.S. university and specialized in dissertations. I have over 200 publications in professional journals, consumer magazines, and newspapers. I am the author of five books and numerous syllabi in an arts field. I also am a freelance line editor, copy editor, and proofreader (over 40 years), and I have written or edited countless community organizations' newsletters and promotional materials.

Note: When using a word as a word in a sentence, such as: Put a period after the word dog, =dog= should be set in italics. Since I do not have access to italics here, I shall use = on either side of the word or phrase that properly should appear in italics. For the above example: Put a period after the word =dog=. Also, ~~please do not mark your questions as private~~. I will change them to public because I don't want to type the same answer twice! Thanks for your understanding.

If you submit a question to other Experts or the pool, I'd appreciate it if you would >>NOT<< submit it to me, also. It's like asking several people out on a date and choosing among those who said yes! This implies my time and particular expertise are worth nothing to you. I want to spend my time responding to those who find my qualifications germane to their question. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

Education B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa Ph.D.

I ask that you >>COME BACK TO READ MY RESPONSE<<. I've taken time to write the best response I can, so you should come back to read it! It's disheartening to respond to a question, only to see later that the person has not bothered to come back. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

I am happy to help you - that's why I volunteered - but please remember I *am* a volunteer and extend me normal courtesies, such as no multiple submissions and not bothering to come back for your answer. mb