General Writing and Grammar Help/Stay put

Dear Ted:

Would you please give me some examples of how to use "to stay put" correctly?

Thank you,

I meant to write "stay put" in these two sentences.  Sorry.

My mother started to get out of her chair, because my father wanted a cup of coffee.  I told her to STAY PUT, and I would get the coffee.

During the written examination, David was so nervous, he could not STAY PUT.

STAY PUT and SIT STILL are synonyms.  They essentially mean "do not move."

With a simple hand signal, he told his dog to STAY PUT.

When the class is over, students should STAY PUT in their seats.  The principal will make some general announcements to the class.

I tried to fit the new battery into my camera, but it would not

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy