General Writing and Grammar Help/Stay put

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please give me some examples of how to use "to stay put" correctly?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
I meant to write "stay put" in these two sentences.  Sorry.

My mother started to get out of her chair, because my father wanted a cup of coffee.  I told her to STAY PUT, and I would get the coffee.

During the written examination, David was so nervous, he could not STAY PUT.

STAY PUT and SIT STILL are synonyms.  They essentially mean "do not move."

With a simple hand signal, he told his dog to STAY PUT.

When the class is over, students should STAY PUT in their seats.  The principal will make some general announcements to the class.

I tried to fit the new battery into my camera, but it would not
STAY PUT.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt