General Writing and Grammar Help/Strip off, strip out of, strip from

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say/write, "to strip OFF a dress/outfit/bikini/etc," "to strip OUT OF a dress/outfit/bikini/etc," or "strip FROM a dress/outfit/bikini/etc"?

If all three are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** "Strip OFF" can be used, but it really sounds weird.  The other two expressions mean the same thing.  

If not, when should I use each of them?

*** You can use these expressions anytime you are referring to someone that is removing clothing.

Would you please give me some examples?

The burlesque dancer STRIPPED off her clothing, one piece at a time.

Jane is going to STRIP OFF/STRIP FROM her business suit and put on more casual clothing.

Paolo, if a person is going to strip from business attire into casual attire, it is more likely to say "change clothing."

In fact, "change" is much more frequently used than "strip."

"Strip" has the connotation of removing your clothing for a price.  The people who perform this action are called "strippers," both male and female.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt