General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the expression "get in through the back door"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I'm using the expressions "get in through the back door" correctly in the following sentences. In other words, are the following sentences grammatically correct and do they make sense?
1. I play basketball very well, thus I was able to get a basketball scholarship from UCLA and get into a prestigious university through the back door.
2. Harvard has a lower bench mark grade-wise for transfer students than for first year applicants, thus I was able to go to a junior college for two years and then get into Harvard through the back door.
3. Michelle got hired by Nokia mainly because she is so pretty, thus she was able to get into Nokia through the back door.
4. Applicants to Yale who are business majors need to have a higher GPA than applicants who choose any other major. Thus I chose art as my major, and then switched my major to business after one year. I was able to get into Yale as a business major through the back door.
5. I got into Stanford through the back door. I applied as an art major and this major has the lowest bench mark. I then changed my major to business after one semester.

Answer
Dear Glen:

Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I'm using the expressions "get in through the back door"
correctly in the following sentences. In other words, are the following
sentences grammatically correct and do they make sense?
1. I play basketball very well, thus I was able to get a basketball scholarship
from UCLA and get into a prestigious university through the back door.

*** The sentence is correct except for the punctuation.  The word "thus" is a conjunctive adverb that joins two independent clauses.  There should be a semi-colon BEFORE "thus," and a comma AFTER the word.

2. Harvard has a lower bench mark grade-wise for transfer students than for
first year applicants, thus I was able to go to a junior college for two years
and then get into Harvard through the back door.

*** Correct, except for the problem I noted with sentence #1.

3. Michelle got hired by Nokia mainly because she is so pretty, thus she was
able to get into Nokia through the back door.

*** Same answer as #2.

4. Applicants to Yale who are business majors need to have a higher GPA than
applicants who choose any other major. Thus [insert comma] I chose art as my major, and then
switched my major to business after one year. I was able to get into Yale as a
business major through the back door.

*** This sentence is correct.

5. I got into Stanford through the back door. I applied as an art major and this
major has the lowest bench mark. I then changed my major to business after one
semester.

*** This sentence is correct.

You have an excellent understanding of "getting in through the back door."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt