General Writing and Grammar Help/Using "but" instead of "and"

Dear Ted:

You forgot to answer the question below.

Also, how would the sentence read/be if you had used "but"?

Your original question was this:

Why did you write one thing yesterday AND write a completely different thing today?

Thank you,

Dear Paolo:

Here is what I wrote:

Also, how would the sentence have read if you had used "but"?

*** I used AND because I wanted the two clauses to be equal.  I could have used BUT.  Using "but" as the conjunction would have made a stronger emphasis on the second clause.  Either way is acceptable.

To use "but," simple put "but" in place of the "and."

Why did you write one thing yesterday BUT write a completely different thing today?

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy