General Writing and Grammar Help/Get in the way

Question
Dear Ted:

What does " to get in the way" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this expression/phrase?

By the way, is it a phrase or an expression?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

What does " to get in the way" mean?

It means that someone is bothersome, that the person is not needed for something and whose presence is causing problems for others.

*** The children were playing in the kitchen, getting in the way of their mother, who was trying to cook dinner.

A:  I don't know anything about repairing cars, but I'd be glad to help you.
B:  That's all right.  You would probably just get in the way.

Too many lazy people just get in the way of the people who actually try to get things done.

*** It is an expression, but it contains two phrases:  a prepositional phrase [in the way] within an infinitive phrase that begins to "to get."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt