General Writing and Grammar Help/GET in the way - STAND in the way

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to GET in the way" and "to STAND in the way"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, does "to stand in somebody's way" exist?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** GET IN THE WAY is most likely NOT intentional.  It simply means that a person or persons are preventing someone from reaching a certain point.  STAND IN THE WAY is intentional.  Someone is very deliberately preventing someone else from reaching a certain point.  And, yes, you CAN use "to stand in somebody's way."

EXAMPLES:

The children GOT IN THEIR MOTHER'S WAY while she was trying to fix dinner.

I had problems seeing the movie, because the large hat worn by the woman in front of me GOT IN MY WAY.

If you GET IN MY WAY, I will make you play outside.

The gang of thugs was STANDING IN MY WAY, preventing me from escaping.

The Republicans offered many budget plans, but the Democrats always STOOD in the way.

The unruly boy tried to run from the school, but the principal STOOD IN HIS WAY.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt