General Writing and Grammar Help/Whenever - every time

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it correct to say that "whenever" and "every time" are synonyms?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

For instance, should I say/write, "Every time I come here,.....," "Whenever I come here,....." or "When I come here,....."?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

For instance, should I say/write, "Every time I come here,.....," "Whenever I
come here,....." or "When I come here,....."?

*** They are synonyms.  If I mean "each time" and there are a great many of these "times," I would use "whenever."  "Every time" is another way of saying the same thing.

If I "come here" on an irregular basis, maybe once every five years or so, I would use "when."

WHENEVER I go to England . . . . [I have been to England twice, so this sentence is incorrect.]

WHEN I go to England . . . . [I haven't been there on a regular basis, so I use WHEN.  If I do NOT plan to go to England AGAIN, I would say, "WHEN I WENT to England . . . . "

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt