General Writing and Grammar Help/Why did you write XYZ but you.....

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following questions is grammatically correct?

1) Why did you write XYZ but you GO on to say the opposite?

2) Why did you write XYZ but you WENT on to say the opposite?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Both are correct, depending on which tense is preferred.  #1 and #2 both place the setting in the past tense, with the use of the verb "did write."

However, #1 continues with the present tense, "GO ON."  "GO ON to say the opposite"  means that AFTER your writing of XYZ [past], your going on is in the present tense.  For example, yesterday you wrote [past] something, but today, you go on to say [present] something different.

#2 is all in the past tense.  Both the writing and the saying happened in the past.

*** Neither sentence is good.  They are both somewhat confusing.  "Why did you write one thing yesterday and write a completely different thing today?"  [The helping verb "did" applies to both uses of "write."  I am just NOT repeating the two words.]

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt