General Writing and Grammar Help/What - which

Dear Ted:

Which of the following two questions is grammatically correct and natural?

1) WHAT TV series/programs are you following these days?

2) WHICH TV series programs are you following these days?

Also, would you please give me some alternatives to the above questions?

Again, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Dear Paolo:

Most people would say that there is no difference between "what" and "which."  We have reached the point where, in most cases, the two are interchangeable.

WHAT -- usually used when there are a great number of options, such as "What books would you put on your "top ten list"?

WHICH -- usually used when the options are limited, such as "Which shoes should I wear, the black pair or the brown pair?"

Do you have any favorite TV series?

Tell me the TV series you enjoy the most.

Here is one explanation I found on the internet:

Questions of attribute which and what: We usually use which when we are asking about a fixed or limited number of things or people, and what when we are not. Often, however, we can use either which or what with little difference in meaning.

This site has a number of good examples:

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy