General Writing and Grammar Help/And - to

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following examples is grammatically correct?

1) I want to get past this truck, then we can get into the right lane. When we get past, I'll stop AND let you drive.

2) I want to get past this truck, then we can get into the right lane. When we get past, I'll stop TO let you drive.

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The second one is correct, using just one infinitive.  The reason for your stopping is TO LET YOU DRIVE.  That infinitive phrase serves as an adverb telling WHY you are stopping.

By the way, in your two "first sentences," you should use a semi-colon instead of a comma after "truck."  You are joining two independent clauses, so you need a stronger punctuation mark than a comma.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt