General Writing and Grammar Help/Let me IN - Let me THROUGH

Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "Let me IN" and "Let me THROUGH"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

tThank you,

Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** There is a difference.  

A group of people are standing in the doorway of the classroom, and you need to get inside.  You say, "Let me in."

You are on the OUTSIDE and you need to be INSIDE.  That's when you use "let me in."

John and his wife had an argument, and she locked him out of their house.  John stood outside, knocking on the door and saying, "Let me in!"

There is a bad car accident, and you fear that a friend is involved.  When you arrive at the scene of the accident, there is a crowd of people watching the police and medical personnel.  You are trying to get THROUGH the crowd, so you shout, "Let me through."

You do not want to go IN a place.  You want to go THROUGH the obstacle that is preventing you from getting TO the place.

Your seat for the opera is in the middle of the row.  You will have to pass by 10 people in order to reach your seat.  You politely ask the ten people, "Will you let me THROUGH?"

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy