General Writing and Grammar Help/direct onjects

Question
Dear Ted,  

Can a subordinate clause be a direct object?

For example:    “I told Bob that Rich was my best friend.”

Am I correct in thinking that - “Rich was my best friend”  is a subordinate clause used as a direct object.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Am I correct in thinking that - “Rich was my best friend”  is a subordinate
clause used as a direct object.

*** You are correct in your thinking.  By the way, the word "that" is the subordinating conjunction and is considered part of the noun clause that serves as the direct object.  

"The subordinating conjunction generally explains the connection between the main clause and the additional information given in the dependent clause."  ["Easy Access:  The Reference Handbook for Writers"]

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt