General Writing and Grammar Help/Join a celebration - join IN a celebration

Dear Ted,

Do you say/write, "to join a celebration" or "to join IN a celebration"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Dear Paolo:

*** I just answered a question about JOIN and JOINING IN.  The answer I gave previously applies to the question in this message.

If the celebration has already started, you would JOIN IN.  If it hasn't yet started, you would JOIN it.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy