General Writing and Grammar Help/Join something - join IN something

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to join something" and "to join IN something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** There is a small difference.  If you "join something," there is no time designated.  Your joining can take place at any time.  However, if you "join IN something," the suggestion is that the activity is already going on.

EXAMPLES:

I play to join the Rotary Club.

Jack is not currently a member of the group, but he plans to join it when his grades improve.

The choir was singing a beautiful hymn, and I was inspired to join in their singing.

The party begins at 9:00 p.m., but I will be unable to join in until 10:00 p.m.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt