General Writing and Grammar Help/Please provide the necessary correction with explanation (if possible)

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr Johnson

Please correct the grammar/prose on this piece of writing I want to submit. Please correct the grammar/prose and if possible provide an explanation for my understanding

Dear Mr Prime Minister
Let me begin by saying I do not wish to sound sinister.
But events in the recent past has made me bitter.
I lived in my homeland for 25 years and have a million times myself jittered
Every time I boarded the bus, walked alone, stood in the crowd
A stare, a remark, a touch here and a push there
The women in me cowed
Ashamed yet loud I say
Solace! Far! I feel Safe
Alas! compelled by the love to see my motherland I wish to come
Yet even the thought is fearsome
I do not wish to see the same fear in the eyes of my dear
Every time I convince them to visit my homeland
Dear Mr Minister ! Please do something!!
Cause soon I  would also need to tell my Indian American kids everything!!!
So Dear Mr Minister! Please do something!!!!

Thank you

ANSWER: Hello Shilpa - and thanks for your question.

It's rather difficult to answer your question here - because it isn't altogether clear if this supposed to be PROSE or POETRY.

If it is prose, your statements should be punctuated and made into coherent sentences.

You do this here in the first two lines, but after that there is no punctuation until the exclamation marks.

But if it is supposed to be poetry, there is an even bigger problem.

That's because in 'modern' poetry (what's called 'free verse') anything is permitted.

You have certainly laid out the statements on the page as if it were poetry.

Instead of my guessing, what I suggest you do is decide if it is prose or poetry - then re-submit it.

I hope this isn't a disappointing response to your query.

Best wishes

QUESTION: Dear Dr Johnson

Thank you for the prompt response.Though this is primarily just a flow of thoughts with no specific emphasis on either. However, would you could counsider it as poetry.

Also if you could suggest me some online sites where I can practise grammar as I am not too sure at times

Thank you

Answer
Hello again Shilpa - and thanks for the follow up.

If we consider this piece of writing as poetry, then it still needs to follow grammatical rules.

Here is a version with some corrections.

Dear Mr Prime Minister
But events in the recent past HAVE made me bitter.
I lived in my homeland for 25 years and have a million times myself jittered.
Every time I boarded the bus, walked alone, OR stood in the crowd
A stare, a remark, a touch here and a push there -
The women in me cowed
Ashamed yet loud I say
Solace! Far! I feel Safe.
Alas! compelled by love to see my motherland I wish to come.
Yet even the thought is fearsome
I do not wish to see the same fear in the eyes of my dear ONES
Dear Mr Minister - please do something.
BECAUSE soon I  would also need to tell my Indian American kids everything.
So Dear Mr Minister - please do something.

Don't over-use exclamation marks.

If you wish to improve your grammar, have a look at this program, which covers all aspects of English language and grammar:

http://www.mantex.co.uk/shop/english-language-3.0/

The program also has self-assessment questions (with answers)

You can also check your understanding of individual topics here:

http://www.mantex.co.uk/downloads/english-language-downloads/

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson