General Writing and Grammar Help/prepositional phrase

Question
Dear Ted,

In the following sentence:   “I hope that all is clear to you.”
Can you please tell me what does the prepositional phrase - “to you” modify?

Can you also please tell me what is modified by the prepositional phrase “to her” in the following sentence:  “We gave the book to her.”

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

***
The prepositional phrase "to you" is an adverb, answering "under what condition(s)" is it "clear."

"To her" modifies the verb "gave," answering the question "to whom was the book given?"  It is an adverbial phrase.

You can also write the sentence with a direct object {book} and an indirect object {her}.
We gave her the book.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt