General Writing and Grammar Help/Rent - rent out

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to rent something" and "to rent OUT something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, what is the opposite of "to rent/rent out something"?

What verb or verbs should I use with the word "landlord"? And with the words "tenants" and "lodger"?

Finally, is there any difference between "I have LEASED this house for the last four years" and "I have RENTED this house for the last four years"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "What verb or verbs should I use with the word 'landlord'?" correctly written?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** There is no difference between the two.  If you have an extra room in your house, you can RENT the room to someone or you can RENT OUT the room to someone.  I think that adding "out" is unnecessary, but it is a common phrase.

*** There is no real "opposite" of which I am aware.  The opposite of "renting" is "buying."

What verb or verbs should I use with the word "landlord"? And with the words
"tenants" and "lodger"?

*** Use "rent."

Finally, is there any difference between "I have LEASED this house for the last
four years" and "I have RENTED this house for the last four years"?

*** Sometimes people RENT without signing a lease.  They choose to pay the rent each month, without having a contract, which is what a lease is.  A lease is generally for a one-year period.  When you sign a lease, you probably are required to pay a "deposit," which is usually one month's rent.  So, if your monthly rent is $500, you would pay $1000 at the time you sign the lease.  Your extra money is placed in an "escrow account."  [The landlord cannot spend it.]  When you move out of the house/apartment, your escrow money [$500] will be returned to you . . .  as long as you haven't caused damage to the house/apartment.

Generally speaking, renting and leasing are almost always synonymous.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "What verb or verbs should I use with the word
'landlord'?" correctly written?

*** YES

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt