General Writing and Grammar Help/Speak ill of someone behind his/her back

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the expression "to speak/talk ill of someone behind his/her back" exist?

If so, would you please give me some examples of how to use it correctly?

Also, would you please give me some formal and informal/idiomatic/colloquial alternatives to the above expression?

By the way, is it an expression?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** It exists, but the usual expression is "to talk behind his/her back."  Because you are not talking about the person directly [as in "face-to-face"], the phrase has the connotation of saying thoughtless or hurtful words.  That's "speaking ill."

Jane ended her friendship with John, when she discovered he had been talking behind her back.

No one really knew the truth about the rape.  There were only rumors, and they were spoken behind the victim's back.

Also, would you please give me some formal and informal/idiomatic/colloquial
alternatives to the above expression?

*** whisper secretly
   tell secretly
   spread rumors
   "dish the dirt" -- slang expression

By the way, is it an expression?

*** It is a well-known expression, but it is not an idiom or a colloquialism.  There IS a related idiomatic expression:  "stab someone's back."  The stabbing is not done with a knife; it is done with negative words.

I thought Joe was my friend, but he really stabbed me in the back by making up false stories about me.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt