General Writing and Grammar Help/Always & all the time

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "always" and "all the time"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

By the way, is "all the time" an adverbial phrase?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** There is a difference.  "Always" means "forever" or "at all times."  It is more comprehensive and "widespread" than "all the time."  By "widespread," I mean that it is applicable to EVERY instance.  Whereas, "all the time" is generally used to refer to one or more particular actions or events that recur constantly.

I eat chocolate ALL THE TIME.  [Your chocolate eating occurs constantly.]

I sometimes skip breakfast and lunch, but I ALWAYS eat a well-balanced dinner.  ["Always" in this instance means that you habitually eat a good dinner.]

Jack has ALWAYS loved Jill.  [That's absolute.  He has loved her "forever."]

Jack and Jill are seen together almost ALL THE TIME.  [A constantly recurring event.]

ALWAYS is a stronger and more encompassing word that the phrase "ALL THE TIME."

Ted

*** Yes.  It answers the question "when?"

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt