General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the expression "peer pressure"

Question
Dear Ted,
I once before asked you a question about some ways to use the expression "peer pressure" and you answered it. I now have another question about some additional ways to use the expression. Can you say "have peer pressure", "give someone peer pressure", "put peer pressure on someone"? In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. My friends put peer pressure on me to drink.
2. I have peer pressure to smoke.
3. My friends give me peer pressure to smoke.

Answer
Dear Glen:

I once before asked you a question about some ways to use the expression "peer
pressure" and you answered it. I now have another question about some additional
ways to use the expression. Can you say "have peer pressure", "give someone peer
pressure", "put peer pressure on someone"? In other words, do the following
sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
2. I have peer pressure to smoke.

*** The only acceptable one is the first, because when your friends PUT pressure on you, they are, essentially, FORCING you to do something.  #3, with "give" is not strong enough; peer pressure is something that is forced.  The word "pressure" itself means "to apply weight or strength" to someone or something.

You can say this:  I smoke because of peer pressure.  [That means your peers are forcing you to do what they do.]  You cannot, as in #2, put peer pressure on yourself.  

When you use the word "peer," you mean your equals, such as your friends.  When you add the word "pressure" to "peer," you are saying that your friends are forcing you to do something.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt