General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the expression "sig figures"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I'm using the expression "six figures" correctly. In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I earn a high six figure income.
2. I paid in the six figures for my house.
3. I paid in the high six figures for my house.

Answer
Dear Glen:

Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I'm using the expression "six figures" correctly. In other
words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I earn a high six figure income.

*** Very good.  All the sentences are correct, with one small error.  When you use "six figure" as an adjective modifying the noun that comes after it, you should hyphenate the two words, making them a "compound adjective."

I earn a high six-figure income.

In the other two sentences, you do not use the words to describe a noun that follow them, so those two sentences are fine.

The TEST for determining whether two adjective are compound is to try using them separately.

I earn a high six income.
I earn a high figure income

Since these two sentences are not correct, you must hyphenate "six-figure" in order for the sentence to have meaning.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt