General Writing and Grammar Help/use of verb "hope"

Question
Dear Ted,

Can you please tell me if the verb “hope” must always be followed by the relative pronoun “that”.

For example, must I say:  

[1]  “I hope that you are happy”

Or can I say:

[2] “I hope you are happy.”

Is #2 colloquial?  

When something is “colloquial” does this mean that it is “informal” and also an incorrect use of grammar?  

Or, if something is “colloquial” does this mean it is “informal” but still a correct use of grammar?

Thank you.  Sincerely,

Rich

p.s.  I hope you had a great Christmas and a very happy New Year.

Answer
Dear Rich:

Happy 2013 to you and Mrs. Rich!

**********

Can you please tell me if the verb “hope” must always be followed by the
relative pronoun “that”.

For example, must I say:  

[1]  “I hope that you are happy”

Or can I say:

[2] “I hope you are happy.”

*** Both versions are correct.  In the second version "that" is understood to be there, even if it isn't written.

Although a noun clause, such as "that you are happy," usually follows "hope," there are other sentences that are different.  Using an infinitive phrase following hope is very common.

I hope to be in Brazil this summer.

Is #2 colloquial?  

When something is “colloquial” does this mean that it is “informal” and also an
incorrect use of grammar?  

Or, if something is “colloquial” does this mean it is “informal” but still a
correct use of grammar?

*** The second sentence is NOT colloquial.  A colloquialism is informal, but it is also
grammatically correct -- usually.  

EXAMPLE:  If a friend is sick, you might say colloquially, "I hope you are up and at 'em soon."

"Up and at 'em" is a colloquialism.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt