General Writing and Grammar Help/Vocab Question

What is the difference between thesis and hypothesis?

My dictionary defers them as follows:

"From their Latin translations, an hypothesis is what you "suppose;" a thesis is what you "pose" (or "posit"). An hypothesis is what you do before you examine, analyze, critique, argue, and verify the evidence for or against your hypothesis. A thesis is what you conclude to after you do all this difficult work. Thus an hypothesis is what you suppose just 'off the face' of things. A thesis is what you pose after deeper examination. However all this work does not make a thesis necessarily correct. All we can say is that a thesis is the best-supported explanation of the evidence, and that it has many things to say for it. However the true explanation may require something even deeper or more extensive than you have posed in your thesis, and so theses are to a certain extent somewhat incomplete."

I hope that helps,

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.

I have worked with words all my life as a teacher of the language and as an amateur and professional writer. Communication is a vital force in my life and everyone else's.

Sigma Delta Chi, NY Press Association, NY Publishers Association

BA in English from the University of Buffalo, MEd in English from SUNY Buffalo, MA in English Literature from SUNY Buffalo. Course work in Journalism from Syracuse Univ., in Linguistics from Rutgers Univ. and Journalism from Univ. of Texas and Ohio Univesrity.

Chancellor's Award for Excellence Teaching SUNY, Distinguished Teaching Award SUNY Morrisville, Who's Who in American Journalism Education