General Writing and Grammar Help/Of vs. for

Dear Mrs. Balliet,

My name is Brian Clark and I am writing you in regards to when how to properly use "of" and "for."

The specific sentence I need assistance with is below.

"The match ratio for/of race by age was 89.4 percent."

I am finding conflicting information which is why I am asking you. Could you please respond with an explanation of what is the correct way to write the above sentence?

Best Regards,

The correct choice is:

"The match ratio of race by age was 89.4 percent."

Explanations of "of" versus "for" :

The preposition 'of' can be used for more things direction or distance, origin, cause, material, identity, connection, inclusion, and relation.

Your sentence is relation........

The preposition 'for' can be used for many things time, distance, and purpose.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.