General Writing and Grammar Help/Did well or did good.

Question
Dear Ted,

Happy New Year!

Now I would like to ask a quetion.

Usually we say: "He did well." Yet the other day I hear of another saying: "He did good." I think the latter is nonpurist English. Do you agree?  Is it very common to have such a saying?
Thanks!

Sincerely,
Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

Once again, although you have rated my answer highly, you chose NOT to nominate me as the
volunteer of the month.  You are the only one of my "regular" questioners who fails to award me with that nomination.  The nomination is important to us volunteers, and I have mentioned that point to you a couple of times.  Yet, you do not tell me WHY you do not make this extra award, and you don't tell me what I should do in order to earn the extra "thank you."

Ted

**************************************************************************

Usually we say: "He did well." Yet the other day I hear of another saying: "He
did good." I think the latter is nonpurist English. Do you agree?  Is it very
common to have such a saying?

*** "He did GOOD" is wrong.  You must use the adverbial form "WELL" in telling HOW he did.

Unfortunately, many people use "did good," which is sub-standard English.  It is incorrect, but there are many people who make this error.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt