General Writing and Grammar Help/Writing skills

Find the sentence with the active voice.

A.  It was voted by the legislature to pass.

B.  I was told by the chairman that the bill was passed by the legislature.

C.  The bill was passed by the legislature.

D.  The chairman told me that the legislature passed the bill.

Hi Brittany,

Sorry about the long delay.

The answer is D. All of the other sentences contain the word "was" which is typically past-tense and passive in nature. Although the word "told" is also past tense, it is direct in nature and means that it happened to you personally.

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)