General Writing and Grammar Help/Get in on

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "gets in on" mean in the sentence below?

John GETS IN ON the ladies' plan to seduce her mother so they can throw a house party.

Also, would you please give me some other examples of how to use the above expression correctly/properly?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

John GETS IN ON the ladies' plan to seduce her mother so they can throw a house
party.

Also, would you please give me some other examples of how to use the above
expression correctly/properly?

*** The phrase means that John becomes informed of or privy to the plan.  The sentence is very peculiar.  Why do you use "her," which SEEMS to refer to John?  "Seduce" quite often has sexual implications, so it is not a proper word for the sentence.

EXAMPLES:

The group decided to GET Jim in on the plan to demonstrate against the teacher.

They LET ME IN ON THE PLAN to decorate the hall.

*** Paolo, "LET" is more often used than "GET," when you are inviting or informing someone about a "secret."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt