General Writing and Grammar Help/BEFORE me

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm sorry to get back to you with the same subject but I still need your help.

Regarding the example "She sat BEFORE me," you wrote the following:

BEFORE me -- You could be sitting in the chair behind your desk, and she could be sitting in the chair in front of your desk.  She must be facing you.

My questions are these:

1) What do you mean by "She must be facing you"? Would you please explain it further?

2) Do you say "in front of the TV" or "before the TV"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

BEFORE me -- You could be sitting in the chair behind your desk, and she could
be sitting in the chair in front of your desk.  She must be facing you.

My questions are these:

1) What do you mean by "She must be facing you"? Would you please explain it
further?

**** I added the sentence about "facing," because I wanted to emphasize that she wasn't just occupying the chair.  If I am in my office, sitting at my desk, a student would sit in the chair that is in front of the desk.  If the chair is arranged so that she is facing the doorway, she and I would not be able to have a face-to-face discussion.  If she came to me for help with an essay, she would sit in the chair BEFORE ME, which is actually ACROSS THE DESK FROM me.  We need to be facing each other, in order to have good communication.

*** Either one works.  "In front of the TV" is the USUAL expression.  IN FRONT OF THE TV is used much, much more than BEFORE THE TV.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt