General Writing and Grammar Help/Is it common?

Dear Ted,

Sorry I forgot to choose you as a good volumteer last time!

Is it common to say: I am a student, aren't I?

Dear Walden:

*** It is VERY COMMON.  I would guess that 98% of English speakers use this phrasing.

"Pure grammarians" get very upset, because the sentence is grammatically WRONG.  You cannot use the plural "are" with the singular pronoun "I."   The technically correct sentence is this:  I am a student, AM I NOT?  Almost NO ONE uses the correct form.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy