General Writing and Grammar Help/cover letters

Question

I saw that you can offer answers regarding presentations and resumes so I was wondering if that includes cover letters?

I went through a workshop with employment security commission where they helped me with writing my resume, CV and cover letter- but recently, a new employee at work told me that cover letters are done differently now- with much less info included.

I am about to start searching for a new position so I'd love to know what way to go on this.

Thank you!!
Kammy

Answer
Kammy,

I'm glad to help out. Like most HR people, I do not believe in using a cover letter since it is nothing more than duplication of information that is in the resume itself. Many HR people tell me that they do not even look at the cover letter.

With this in mind, I suggest you place greater emphasis upon your resume (which I would be happy to evaluate to make it more effective.#

A few important things to remember about a resume:

1. it is intended to gain an interview NOT a job,

2. should be confined to a single page, and

3. contain a very specific explanation of the position you are seeking.

4. Use this format:

Personal Information, Specific Objective, Educational Background, Occupational Background, References #do not use friends or relatives).

Write your resume with these points in mind, and I shall be glad to look it over.

I hope this helps,

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone