General Writing and Grammar Help/the difference between ...

What is the difference between "university" and "college" in English?

Thank you

A university is a larger institution that may have colleges within it's structure.  For example, the University of Virginia has a College of Medicine.  An independent institution may be called a college because of its size (smaller than a University)--example Bowdoin College located in Maine.  

In informal English, speakers may use these two words interchangeably without regard to size.

Regards,  Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University