General Writing and Grammar Help/In fact

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please have a look at the following excerpt and answer the question below?

OCD sufferers often spend some of the worse times in their life at university as heightened stress and emotional responsibility make the experience of having OCD progressively more difficult. In fact these environmental factors can bring out obsessive-compulsive tendencies in people who havenít had them before, which is what happened to me.

My question is this:

What does "In fact" mean? Also, would you please give me a substitute for it?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. How are you feeling today?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please have a look at the following excerpt and answer the question
below?

OCD sufferers often spend some of the worse times in their life at university as
heightened stress and emotional responsibility make the experience of having OCD
progressively more difficult. In fact these environmental factors can bring out
obsessive-compulsive tendencies in people who havenít had them before, which is
what happened to me.

My question is this:

*** "In fact" means "the truth."  A substitute is "in actuality."

You can also use adverbial forms, such as "actually," "literally," "indeed," or "point of
fact."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt