General Writing and Grammar Help/As far as sthg goes - as far as sthg is concerned

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "as far as something is concerned" and "as far as something goes"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. How do you feel these days?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** There is a difference.  In the first example, there is a suggested reference to someone or something that is affected [concerned] by some other thing.  The second example has no such reference.  I view the first as being somewhat more exact and the second to be rather "loose" and "open-ended."

EXAMPLES:

As far as I am concerned, the new health law seems to be destroying itself.  [I use "as far as . . . ." as a phrase of comparison.

Her attitude, as far as her classmates are concerned, is very unfriendly and aloof.

From the top of the mountain, the climbers could see the river below, as far as it goes.

His doctoral dissertation was outstanding, as far as it goes.  He needs to write two more chapters in order to complete it.

Paolo

P.S. How do you feel these days?

*** Went to the hospital for four hours yesterday, having all kinds of tests.  Despite all the pressure and pain I have been living with, my blood pressure was the lowest it has been AS FAR AS it goes.  [Back as far as I can remember.]  It was 115 over 60.  The technician said that was the best reading she had had in many months!

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt