General Writing and Grammar Help/Godfather meaning.

Question
Dear Ted

What is the Dictionary meaning of "Godfather" ?.
Is it related to philosophy, spirituality ?.

Can we termed our Teacher, Coach, Spiritual Guru, Blood relations,
Close relatives etc as Godfather ?.

How we can use this word in English sentences ?. Can you illustrate this with examples ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant:

*** Here are two definitions from "Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary" --

1.  A man who sponsors a person at baptism
2.  One having a relation to someone or something analogous to that of a male sponsor to his godchild.

When a baby is a few weeks old, many Christian churches have a ritual called "christening."  During these rites, the baby is named and is baptized [the priest or minister sprinkles drops of "holy water" on the baby's head].  As part of this ceremony,
the parents of the baby may ask two people they greatly trust to serve as the baby's godparents.  The godfather or godmother accept the responsibility to look after and care for the baby, if anything should happen to its parents.   

Close relatives etc as Godfather ?.

*** The godfather can be any of those you just listed.  The godfather is chosen because the parents believe they can entrust their baby to this man's care.

How we can use this word in English sentences ?. Can you illustrate this with
examples ?.

John and Jane Smith asked their lifelong friend, David Jones, to serve as the godfather for their new baby.

In the book and movie "Godfather," the main character was given the title of "godfather," because he overlooked and cared for all of the members of his family.

There are two ways that a godfather can be named:  In a church served when the baby is baptized; a general agreement within a family that one man [usually the oldest] is in charge of caring for ALL members of the family.

Thus, the word "godfather" can be applied to a religious ritual OR can be strictly a matter within a family.  The family situation does not includes ANY religious implications.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt