General Writing and Grammar Help/Godfather meaning.

Dear Jerry

What is the Dictionary meaning of the word "Godfather" ?.
Is it related to philosophy, spirituality ?.

Can we termed our Teacher, Coach, Guide, Spiritual Guru, Blood relations, Close relatives etc as Godfather ?.

How we can use this word in English sentences ?. Can you illustrate this with examples ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Prashant S Akerkar,

A godfather is a male godparent in the Christian tradition or a man arranged to be the legal guardian of a child in case the parents die before adulthood or the age of majority.

A spiritual position one looks upon his/her godfather with reverence, admiration and kindness. Truly, they are close relatives.

My parents choose her brother and sister-in-law to be my godparents. I have endeared them ever since.

When you are baptized in the Catholic church, your sponsors are considered your godfather and godmother.

I hope this helps,

Jerry Leone  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.

I have worked with words all my life as a teacher of the language and as an amateur and professional writer. Communication is a vital force in my life and everyone else's.

Sigma Delta Chi, NY Press Association, NY Publishers Association

BA in English from the University of Buffalo, MEd in English from SUNY Buffalo, MA in English Literature from SUNY Buffalo. Course work in Journalism from Syracuse Univ., in Linguistics from Rutgers Univ. and Journalism from Univ. of Texas and Ohio Univesrity.

Chancellor's Award for Excellence Teaching SUNY, Distinguished Teaching Award SUNY Morrisville, Who's Who in American Journalism Education