General Writing and Grammar Help/Godfather meaning.

Question
Dear Jerry

What is the Dictionary meaning of the word "Godfather" ?.
Is it related to philosophy, spirituality ?.

Can we termed our Teacher, Coach, Guide, Spiritual Guru, Blood relations, Close relatives etc as Godfather ?.

How we can use this word in English sentences ?. Can you illustrate this with examples ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant S Akerkar,

A godfather is a male godparent in the Christian tradition or a man arranged to be the legal guardian of a child in case the parents die before adulthood or the age of majority.

A spiritual position one looks upon his/her godfather with reverence, admiration and kindness. Truly, they are close relatives.

My parents choose her brother and sister-in-law to be my godparents. I have endeared them ever since.

When you are baptized in the Catholic church, your sponsors are considered your godfather and godmother.

I hope this helps,

Jerry Leone  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone