General Writing and Grammar Help/Look to someone - look up to someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to look TO someone" and "to look UP TO someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. How are you today?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to look TO someone" and "to look UP TO
someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** There is a difference between the two.  If you LOOK TO someone, you are "turning" to
that person for some reason, most often for his help.  If you LOOK UP TO someone, you greatly admire that person.  You are not asking him for anything; you just hold him in high esteem.

EXAMPLES:

When I need help with my writing, I always LOOK TO my English teacher for his advice.

Mary was completely lost in the big city, so she LOOKED TO strangers for directions.

Many young people think that athletes are very special people; the youth LOOK UP TO the athletes as their heroes.

The Nobel Prizes are now being awarded.  The winners are often chosen because people LOOK UP TO them and their work.

Paolo

P.S. How are you today?

*** I slept very little last night.  I couldn't find a sleeping position that eased the pain in my left leg.  I am going to work at the library tonight, so I hope my medicine today will help my ability to stand and walk.  Thank you, Paolo, for asking.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt