General Writing and Grammar Help/meaning of "honest effort"

Question
Dear Ted,
What is the meaning of the expression "honest effort" and am I using it correctly in the following sentences? I think the expression means that you try your hardest, your best, you give it your all, you give 110%.
1. I expect an honest effort from you.
2. I expect an honest effort from my students.
3. I expect an honest effort from my employees.

Answer
Dear Glen:

What is the meaning of the expression "honest effort" and am I using it
correctly in the following sentences? I think the expression means that you try
your hardest, your best, you give it your all, you give 110%.

*** Your definition is correct.  Think of it as giving your very best and then all a little more, such as your 10% added to 100%.

1. I expect an honest effort from you.

All example are correct.

The university did not renew Professor Smith's teaching contract, because he did very little in the classroom to inspire confidence; the administrators did not think he put forth an honest effort to teach.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt