General Writing and Grammar Help/Re: As far as sthg is concerned

Question
Dear Ted:

You wrote the following:

As far as I am concerned, the new health law seems to be destroying itself.  [I use "as far as . . . ." as a phrase of comparison.

My questions is this:

What do you mean by "as a phrase of comparison"? Would you please explain this point further?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

You wrote the following:

As far as I am concerned, the new health law seems to be destroying itself.  [I
use "as far as . . . ." as a phrase of comparison.

My questions is this:

What do you mean by "as a phrase of comparison"? Would you please explain this
point further?

*** When I read my response BEFORE I sent it to you, I considered removing those words.  I used the "health care law" as an example, because it is very much in the news here.

Take this scene:  A group of people are discussing the pros and cons of Obama's "Affordable Care Act," also known as Obamacare.  Several people express their views.  I agree with part of what they say, but, overall, I think that the law should never have been passed.  So, I am COMPARING my point of view with the others that have been shared.  

I would never use a sentence, beginning with "as far as I am concerned," in normal talk or discussions.  By saying "as far as I am concerned," I am ENTERING into a discussion that was started by someone else.  My point of view, therefore, is COMPARING what I believe with the points other people have mentioned.

If this were a sentence in an essay, I would write, "The new health law seems to be destroying itself."  Since I am mention ONLY my opinion, there is no comparison with what others have said.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt